Posted by Eileen Ellsworth
This is the third post reviewing the book “Giving 2.0” by Laura Arrillaga-Andreessen (Great Giving LLC, 2012)
Laura Arrillaga-Andreessen, the author of “Giving 2.0: Transform Your Giving and Our World,” encourages charitable giving through donor advised funds and thoughtfully describes the advantages of using your local Community Foundation for this purpose. For example:
- Giving through a donor advised fund greatly reduces the administrative and legal costs otherwise associated with running a private foundation.
- Community Foundations bring together a diverse community of donors, creating collaborative giving opportunities.
- Donor advisors get connected to other donors at community foundations. Lunches, cocktails hours, and educational events featuring guest speakers provide opportunities to share ideas and learn.
- Community Foundation staff members can help donor advisors formulate a personal philanthropy “mission statement” that helps guide their giving and narrow it to the causes abut which they are most passionate.
- A potentially larger tax deduction is offered for donations to donor advised funds than for contributions to private foundations.
Regardless of the giving vehicle you choose, the author is an advocate for true partnership between donors and the nonprofits they support. If you’ve done your homework and gotten clear on what cause you want to support, then take a leap of reason and trust the nonprofit leaders. In fact, the author suggests asking this question of the nonprofits you’ve chosen to support: “What do you need funds for that you can’t raise at the moment?”
This simple show of support and faith makes all the difference.